- Tax Documents On-Line
- Tax Responsibility Generally
- Controller’s Office Responsibilities
- Responsibilities Managed by Other Offices
- Important Note about Individual Tax Issues
Tax Documents On-Line
- Obtain a copy of the University’s IRS determination letter confirming the University’s tax-exempt status.
- Obtain a copy of the University’s W-9 Form.
990-T Public Inspection Copy: In accordance with IRS regulations, the University of Virginia makes its most recent Form 990-T (Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return) available for public inspection. To obtain a copy of the University of Virginia's Form 990-T, please submit a request in writing to:
Assistant Vice President for Financial Operations
University of Virginia
PO Box 400194
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4194
- Research available state sales tax exemption forms.
- Complete your private use questionnaire (link to on-line PUQ).
- Electronically send us a copy of a 1099-MISC or 1099-K form you received.
- If you have a question or can’t find what you need, send us a question.
Tax Responsibility Generally
Financial Operations provides guidance and oversight on tax matters, manages overall University tax compliance, and maintains primary responsibility for the tax functions enumerated below. In addition, as tax compliance responsibility is distributed at the University, certain specific tax responsibilities are administered by other units of the University’s central administration.
For assistance with employment and foreign national tax issues, please refer to the Compliance and Immigration Services unit in UVA Human Resources.
Financial Operations Responsibilities
- Managing overall University tax compliance.
- Preparing and filing Form 990-T, reporting of unrelated business income.
- Pre-issuance and post-issuance private use analysis.
- Managing state sales tax exemptions and reporting.
- Preparing and filing Form 1099-K, payment card and third party network transactions.
- Reviewing and filing Form 5227 and related state forms for University endowments.
- Receiving and archiving 1099-MISC and 1099-K forms and other tax-related forms issued to the University.
Responsibilities Managed by Other Offices
- For Form 1099-MISC, reporting of payments made to independent contractors and vendors, contact the Accounts Payable unit in Procurement & Diversity Services.
- For Form 1042-S, reporting of payments made to foreign nationals, contact Compliance & Immigration Services in Human Resources.
- For Form W-2 (employee wage and tax statements) and Forms W-4 and VA-4 (withholding and reporting of state and federal tax income taxes), contact the Payroll Office in Human Resources.
- For Form 1098-T, reporting of tuition payments, contact Student Financial Services.
- For tax exempt bond compliance (other than private use issues), contact Treasury Management.
Important Note about Individual Tax Issues
The material on this website has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied upon for, tax, legal, or accounting advice. The University of Virginia does not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice to individual students, parents or employees. Individuals should consult their own advisors before engaging in any transaction.